Monday 19 March 2018

Year C. 2nd Term. Lesson 8. Love Languages- WORDS

(I repeat : The basic idea for this series come from Gary Chapman’s books on the 5 love Languages. There is a book for married couples and about children. I have taken his principles and turned them into lessons to teach the children how to express love in 5 main ways. I highly recommend these books. Another excellent book is by Ross Campbell “How to really love your child.” He actually helped Gary write the children’s book on love languages. Anyone working with children needs these tools.)


Scripture: for teacher background:  Luke 3:22 God’s affirming words to Jesus
Isaiah 43:4 God’s words of love to us. Proverbs 25:11 “A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.” Psalm 141:3 “Set a guard over my mouth. O Lord.”
1 Thessalonians 5:11

Making contact:

Play the game – “I wrote a letter to my love”
Make up an encouraging adjective for each child, beginning with the same letter as its name begins with. Maybe everybody could help and you all do this together.
E.g. Kind Keith

 Exploration:

Do you know that another name for the Bible is God’s Love letter? As we read it we can see how much God loves us. For instance this verse – “God loved the world sooooooooo much that He gave his Son for us.” John 3:16

When Jesus was baptized, it was wonderful for Him to hear His Father’s voice coming from Heaven. He said: “You are my beloved son. I am pleased with you.”

Have you had something so nice said to you or about you and you’ve never forgotten it? It warmed your heart forever!

When I was an gawky, kinda ugly child (I thought!), someone once said that I had such beautiful blue eyes. It was nice to hear that because some other times someone has said something so unkind that it really hurt me deep inside.

We used to say a silly saying when we were teased – “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.”

Now that is just brave and not true. A broken bone can be put in plaster, and will one day be even stronger than before, but ugly words that cut your heart can’t be fixed, except through deep prayer.

The Bible says,  A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.”

That means that good kind words are a precious as beautiful gold apples done in silver settings.
Maybe bad words are like rotten, smelly apples.
Have you ever smelt potatoes that are bad? That is very bad smell. Did you know that the words you speak are like that to God and people? When you speak kind words and say, “Thanks” nicely- those are gold apples. 
When you swear, gossip and say bad things, your words smell like bad potatoes.

Be careful with nicknames. Some nicknames are saying ugly things about the person!
My son has a friend whose nickname is “Psycho” I get so upset when I hear this. I say, “His name is Jonathon!”

We must also be careful of saying things when we are angry that we do not mean.
E.g..”I wish you had never been born. I hate you you’re so stupid/ugly…etc
The Bible says: “Set a guard over my mouth. O Lord.”

You actually can’t take these words back and you may be scarring that person for life.

But oh what good we can do with kind words. These words will do such good.

Application

So be wise with your words. Always say nice things over and over again.
Mark Twain said he could live for a month on a good compliment.
E.g.-
“Mom, you are so special. Thanks for cooking the supper!” Say that every night 365 days a year, all your life. She will never get tired of it. Tell your family that you love them. 
My grown up children often tell me they love me. Their grandpa did not find this easy and if my son said, "I love you Poppa" He would only reply, "Ditto." 
But just before he died he said to my son - "I love you."
It meant so much!
(Teachers – give your own example here)

Tell your teacher you enjoyed her lesson. Don’t lie, mind you. If you didn’t enjoy it, say “Wow, teacher, I learnt something new. Thanks for all your hard work.”

Look for something good to say about people who you don’t like. That would be very mature of you.
Remember to be careful of saying ugly things.

Challenge to Mission

Why don’t you write a letter of encouragement to someone? It may be a letter of thanks, but also to say “Well done” for something.
We just told a doctor how impressed we were with the hospital where he works. He was so appreciative of what we said, because he only ever hears complaints. (Teachers, again, use an example that you know of.)

Who could you encourage?
Remember the best place to begin is at home.

Consolidation

The worksheet shows a child on a bicycle and a mother and a large dove is carrying kind words to various people.
The children can write some kind things they could say to family, friends, teachers enemies and anyone else.
You can hand out little notepaper and ask the children to write a letter to someone they want to build up.

Memory Verse

“Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11



No comments:

Post a Comment