Wednesday 21 March 2018

Hamburger Series. Introductory lesson: Jesus said, "I AM"


This lesson is to introduce the series to the children and to tell them about the "I am" hamburgers. They will begin to build their burger next time.

Scripture: for teacher background:  Exodus 3:1-14  Psalm 46:10  John 8:48-59  John 18:1-7

Making contact:

Talk to the children about the meanings of their names. Find out some of them before hand in case they don’t know. 

A naming baby book could come in handy. Tell them what your name means.

How many names do we know that mean God?
Lord, King, Jesus, Saviour, Holy Spirit, Father, The Shepherd, Abba………..are some examples.
There are names for God using every letter of the Alphabet.

 Exploration:

You may remember when we learned the story of Moses, that he had an amazing experience one day when he was looking after sheep. 
He had run away from Egypt because in his hurry to help his people he had killed an Egyptian and now he was hiding in another country. 

Do you remember what strange thing he saw, and he went closer to have a look? It was a bush that was burning but it wasn’t burning up.

 As he got closer, he heard God’s voice telling him that he must take off his shoes because he was standing on very holy ground. That was how people showed honour in those days.

By the way, if you happen to go in a mosque, you have to take your shoes off to show honour to that god. I don’t know about you, but I would rather only honour Jesus. Be careful not to give glory to other gods.

Anyway, God spoke to Moses at the burning bush that day. This was before the Bible was written. God told Moses that he had to go back to Egypt and that he had to lead them out of that country, back to Israel.
Moses doubted and argued. 

He said he was a “Nobody.” and would not be able to do this. Then he tried a different argument. He said: “When I go to the Israelites and say to them The God of your ancestors sent me to you, they will ask me “What is His name?” So what must I tell them?

God said: “I am who I am. This is what you must say to them. The One who is called
I AM has sent you to them.” (Ex 3)

Now, think about that – what does it mean? It means… God is everything. “I Am.” -full stop.
Not I was or will be………but I am!

Many years later Jesus was talking to some very religious people, some Pharisees, and they were asking Jesus if he was a Samaritan (a half Jew – they hated Samaritans) or if He was demon possessed, possessed by the devil!

They asked Him how He could be greater than Abraham?

He said Abraham was very happy that Jesus was coming to earth.
They told Him he wasn’t even 50 years old, and asked Him how it was possible for Him to claim to know Abraham? He then said these famous words:

“I am telling you the truth, before Abraham was born, I AM.” (John 8:58)

It was a while later that they sent soldiers to arrest Him in the Garden of Gethsemane. They arrested Him and killed Him because He claimed to be the Son of God. To them it was blasphemy but Jesus was brave and true.

 As the soldiers came closer to Him in the garden, He asked them “Who are you looking for?” They replied “Jesus of Nazareth. Instead of running away Jesus replied: “I am He.” 

As Jesus said, “I am”, they moved back and fell to the ground. Then they got up and He asked them again before they arrested Him.

Why did they fall to the ground? They were in the presence of God, which is overwhelming. For that moment His power and holiness overcame them and they fell down.

During His teachings Jesus often used these words “I am”, when He was teaching about whom He was, but He put something after it. Do you know what He said?

Well, He said seven different things and in the next seven Sundays we are going to learn about these is a fun way.

Who likes hamburgers?

They say the way to a person’s heart is through their stomach! We are going to get the truths about Jesus into our hearts through our stomachs – through HAMBURGERS!

But we are going to call them I AM BURGERS instead.

So, come each week and we are going to build an “I AM BURGER”, and at the end of the term we will actually eat a real hamburger if we can say all seven memory verses.

 Application

God is your “I am”.
Who is your God? He replies: “I am.”
Who is my strength? “I AM.”
Who is my guide? “I AM.”
Who is my protector? “I AM.”
Who is my friend? “I AM.”

God is your “I am” He is everything to you and me.

Challenge to Mission

 We must not be shy to tell people that we believe in THE GOD of the Holy Trinity! – He is the great “I AM”
The world needs to know who God is and maybe you could begin by telling a family member or friend about your God.

Consolidation

 There is a worksheet where the children can colour in the name of God – I AM.
There is a list of questions. The children can write I AM next to each one.

There is a burning bush picture. They can colour it in to make flames or stick orange paper or cellophane paper over the bush.


Memory Verse

“I am telling you the truth,” Jesus said, “Before Abraham was born, I AM.” (John 8:58)





No comments:

Post a Comment